Monday, March 4, 2013

DIY Bow Shirt




SOURCE

I saw this shirt idea on Pinterest, and I fell in love with it. I found a tutorial that a girl posted on her website, so I reposted it here. You can read the original post by clicking the link above.


What you’ll need:
1. Scissors
2. Liquid stitch
3. A rotary cutter
4. A piece of cardboard
5. A shirt you are willing to cut (mine was $3 from H&M)

Step 1: Using your scissors, cut the bottom hem off of your shirt (you’ll need the material later)

Step 2: With the cardboard inside of the shirt, cut slits in the fabric with the rotary cutter. It doesn’t matter how far apart you make your cuts, as long as they are evenly spaced. I used the hem of the shirt to help guide my cuts so they were all the same width, but this step isn’t necessary.

Step 3: Using the extra material, cut 2-3 inch long strips (make sure to cut off the thread). 

Step 4: Pinch the fabric in the middle, creating the “bow” shape.

Step 5: Wrap one of your fabric strips around the area that you pinched, and apply the liquid stitch. Make sure that the glued section ends up in the back, so you have a smooth looking bow on the outside.

Step 6: Once glued, your bow should now look like this.

Step 7: Repeat steps 4-5 for all of the other bows until you reach the bottom. Your shirt should now look like this.

Step 8 (optional): If you want, you can also add another bow on the very top. First, cut off the edge of the hem around the neck with a pair of scissors. Cut however much you want off, depending on how deep you want your shirt to go in the front and back. Repeat steps 4-5 for the bow and voila! I haven’t done this step to my shirt yet, but i think i might later.

And there you have it! I love this DIY because it’s quite simple to do (seeing as there’s no sewing involved), and it ends up looking adorable! JUST BE CAREFUL WITH YOUR ROTARY CUTTER! I was lazy and didn’t want to cut up a cardboard box, so i just used 2 paper bags instead. I ended up cutting through the front of my shirt a little when i was cutting the slits in the back, and wasn’t a very happy camper. So don’t end up like me, put something STURDY underneath your shirt! Hope you guys have fun with this, and if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask!

NOTE: You can ask the questions here, but if either myself or July can't provide an answer to your question, it would be a good idea to ask the original girl who made this. (:

1 comment:

  1. That's really cute! You would have to wear something under it obviously :P
    Pintrest has been good to you hasn't it?.....

    ReplyDelete

Hello, fellow Creative Cliquers! We're always up for a good discussion here, so please leave a comment and let us know what you think! Please keep all comments viewer-friendly and I think we'll get along just fine. (: